MEETING TIME AND PLACE:
The Animal Shelter Advisory Committee meets quarterly at 4:00pm, at different locations. The City Health Authority may call more frequent meetings if determined that such meetings are necessary.
METHOD OF APPOINTMENT:
Each member shall be appointed by the City Commission, with the exception of the City Health Authority.
The Committee shall consist of nine (9) members:
- The City Health Authority
- One (1) City Commissioner to serve during the Commissioners term of office
- One (1) representative from an animal welfare organization
- One (1) licensed Veterinarian, and
- Five (5) additional citizens
GENERAL POWERS AND DUTIES:
The purpose of the committee shall be to:
- Oversee the operations of the animal shelter.
- Ensure adherence to applicable requirements of the Texas Department of Health.
- Suggest necessary modifications to the City of Brownsville Code of Ordinances relating to animals and animal regulation and care.
AUTHORITY FOR CREATION AND OPERATION:
The Animal Advisory Committee was created by Ordinance No. 88-1169 on February 16, 1988, amended by Ordinance No. 98-1169-A on May 5, 1998, dissolving both the Animal Advisory Committee and the New Animal Shelter Advisory Committee, and creating the Animal Shelter Advisory Committee by adding Section 7-60 of the City Ordinances and amended by Ordinance No. 2006-1169-B on March 21, 2006